Pete's Pumpkins

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

About Pete’s Pumpkins

Pete’s Pumpkins is a micro layout I’m attempting to build in lieu of working on my somewhat larger layout. My larger N scale layout is a freelanced design roughly set in South-western Ontario Canada. While I have enjoyed working on this pike, there is some tedium as there are always some details to research, prototype equipment to purchase/make, or some buildings to scratch-build. As such, I wanted to try my hand at something simpler, so I’ve decided to build a microlayout.

Pete’s Pumpkins is a fictional narrow-gage railway set in the rural countryside used to transport pumpkins from the surrounding fields to Pete’s Pumpkins storage facilities – the barn…

I haven’t yet decided if Pete’s Pumpkins will be HOn30 or On18 scale, only that it will be constructed using leftover N scale track. The budget for the layout is $0.00, so the goal is to build the layout using little more then the cast-off rolling stock and common building that are laying around the house. Likewise, I’d like to see how quickly I can construct the layout, as working on my larger layout (which will never be ‘done’) makes if difficult to judge how quickly my skills have developed.

Thanks for visiting.

2 comments:

Simplex said...

Great little layout you're building. The scale/gauge combination is quite thought provoking, I've often toyed with the idea of 1:32 & 1:35 on HO gauge track for a 20"/60cm gauge combination. I've also dabbled in a little On20 (10.5mm gauge)...

I'm looking forward to seeing how your barn turns out,

-Cody

Michael said...

Thanks - so far I've really enjoyed working in this scale/gauge - its seems like a natural fit, and is less fussy then other scales I've played with.

I'm excited about the barn, initial barn-board trials have been very promising...